Monday 27 June 2011

C is for Cookies, cute and crunchy

Like so many other tempting treats, like waffles and cakes, I much prefer the idea of them over actually eating them. Them being cookies in this case. If I do have the urge to munch on these sweet confections, my preference is for chewy ones. There's something comforting about that gentle give when you first bite into a moist chewy cookie, as if it were welcoming you to the sweet goodness packed within it's golden exterior. Drier crunchy cookies can feel like a violent bombardment of ceramic shards on your squishy oral anatomy. Quarrying your way through a discus of bedrock, snapping teeth left and right and tearing your pink fleshy gums to shreds. Unless of course they are tiny.


That smell. That warm orange glow. The instant they waft over my senses I am transported back to my childhood. Toddling along in malls, walking past the Famous Amos cookie stall covered in candy and piles of adorable cookies. I was loitering outside a video store and could not help but stare at the Famous Amos opposite the entrance. That smell. The warmth of the ovens drawing in all who passed by like a gravitational pull. I can resist all but temptation. Challenge accepted. I snuck over and quickly ordered 100 grams of cinnamon raisin oatmeal - my favourite cookie flavour (the bag is a lie!).


Crunchy cookies have to have the right type of crunch. Oreos have the grainy crumble, gingersnaps have the sharp snap and Famous Amos cookies have that delicate crisp crunch of caramelised flour. Their small size replicate the tiny toasted scraps of cookie dough that fail to adhere to a larger mass. Not too sweet, the wholesome wheat tones of the main body are accented by the intense punctuation of roasted raisins. Too easy to eat and so cute stare at. Here's one shaped like a fish!

1 comment:

  1. OOOHH!! You have Famous Amos kiosks?!! All we have is Cookie Corner, which isn't bad...not great...

    Famous Amos cookies are definitely on the list of natsukashii food items for me. I don't think they were ever sold fresh, but I used to buy the packs a lot when I was a kid in summer fun from the vending machines.

    ReplyDelete