Saturday 25 June 2011

It don't matter if you're black and white

We went to another Uncle Lim's today, this time at Ikea, for a quick fueling up before the epic quest through the treacherous throngs of weekend shoppers in search of shiny new furniture. I was mildly terrified by the sheer quantity of people that were packed into the store; wedged between compact furniture, huddled around a ridiculously cheap fish and chips from the Ikea-subsidised cafes and being swept into the perpetual current of people funnelling down the main path deeper into the depths of the Swedish showroom. Would have loved to have gotten my greedy flippers on a curry puff and soft serve ice cream but the queues seemed to dissolve into a solid sardine can/warehouse of people. So I was happy I had my dose of Soya Cincau before walking through the gates of More-doors-and-cupboards-and-furniture-and-crap-I-don't-really-need-for-my-house.


Soya Cincau (chin-chow) is soy milk with grass jelly. Affectionately known as a Michael Jackson in some establishments, this drinkable dessert is the answer when you cannot decide between the mellow creaminess of cold soy milk and the refreshing herbal slivers of grass jelly. I find that a straight soy milk can sometimes be too rich as an accompaniment to a full meal. Soya Cincau is the yin and yang of the cold kopitiam (coffee shop serving food) drink list. A balanced compromise in a tumultuous world of furniture-crazed weekend shoppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment